The Resident Artist Membership
An Opportunity for Artists at the Art League of Long Island
The Art League of Long Island’s Resident Artist Membership Program is entering it’s third year! Up to 6 artists will be selected to participate in this year-long opportunity for Long Island based visual and interdisciplinary artists to become leaders in their creative community.
The Resident Artist Membership is self-guided program based on independent study and a dedication to progressing in professionalism in each participant’s individual artistic practice. This is a perfect opportunity for artists who are interested in finding community and mentorship, learning new mediums, and developing the skills and confidence to teach! Resident Artist Members will have access to the Art League’s state of the art studios and extensive offerings of classes to expand their skills, culminating in an exhibition, and the opportunity to teach a One Day Workshop that is open to the general public. This Residency begins on 6/1/2020, and ends on 5/31/2021.
The Resident Artist membership includes the following benefits:
- 50 free hours of instructed class time per semester- Participants will be able to attend up to 50 hours of instructed class time each semester for the duration of the Artist Resident Membership. Classes must reach minimum enrollment, and may not exceed maximum enrollment in order to be eligible for this offer. Resident Artist Members will be required to pay in full for additional instructed class time hours that exceed the 50 hours.
- Exhibition Opportunities
- Opportunity to teach a One-Day Workshop in the Summer of 2021- Use the education during your year of study at the Art League to design a one-day workshop that expresses your point of view and strengths as an artist through teachable skills
- Unlimited use of Open Studios during scheduled open studio time and additional hours in which studios are unused.
- Free admission to ticketed Art League events and lectures
- Access to the Lorraine Graves Grace Memorial Library of over 2,500 art books
- Promotion of you and your work on the Art League website and social media
The Resident Artist Membership is a one-year membership to the Art League of Long Island that lasts from June 1, 2020- May 31st, 2021. The application period opens February 1, 2020 and ends March 31, 2020. There is a non-refundable application fee of $55. The Artist Residency Membership fee for selected artists is $300. Artists not selected to participate in the program will still benefit by receiving a free basic individual membership for one year.
The artists selected for the Resident Artist Memberships will be expected to take on a leadership role in community building at the Art League and integrate with our student body. Resident Artist members will be required to:
- Volunteer at the Art League for a minimum of 10 hours per month- Monitor an open studio, assist with hanging a show, or help out in the office!
- Maintain a blog on the Art League website- Document your experiences as a Resident Artist Member at the Art League- in class and beyond- through monthly blog posts. Share about your work, your process, and what you’ve been learning!
- Work toward teaching a one-day workshop during the semester immediately following the completion of your membership (Summer 2021). This will include submitting a workshop proposal and drafting a syllabus.
- Attend Resident Artist Membership meetings (Schedule TBD)
- Participate in collaborative projects that engage the public to enhance the Art League’s outreach and programming.
- Pay the Resident Artist Membership fee of $300
A Completed application will contain the following:
• Application fee of $55.00
• ONE PDF Document containing an Artist Resume or C.V. and the answers to the following questions:
- Statement of Practice (A brief description of your work and process) (250 words)
- Statement of Purpose (What do you hope to accomplish during your Artist Resident Membership?) (250 words)
- Preliminary Proposal for Workshop (The Resident Artist Membership culminates in the opportunity to teach a One-Day Workshop at the Art League of Long Island. Do you have a potential workshop in mind? How would your voice as an artist translate into teachable content?) (250 words)
• Work Samples/Documentation of up to 10 works Jpegs, png preferred for still shots. Video work(s) or video documentation of work, max. 10 minutes. (Vimeo or Youtube links are preferred).
The Art League of Long Island is a not-for-profit visual arts organization providing a full schedule of classes, workshops, exhibits, and events for Long Islanders since 1955. The Art League of Long Island is located at 107 East Deer Park Road in Dix Hills, just off exit 42N of the Northern State Parkway. For more information visit www.artleagueli.org or call (631) 462-5400
This exhibition will concetrate on landscape imagery, embracing seascapes, sityscapes, garden scenes and woodland, for example, and may be rendered both realisticall or abstractly.
Open to artists residing in Nassau, Suffolk, and the NY Metro Area. Two- and three-dimensional work in any medium may be submitted, including photography and fine craft. Sorry, no videos.