ALLI Competitions / Calls for Entry
The Muse Collective is hosting its First Annual Poetry Slam!
In collaboration with The Art League of Long Island, Muse will be hosting an East-Meets-West Coast style slam! Long Island’s powerful poetry tradition has inspired us to create a gathering of our region’s most dynamic performers in one space for a celebration of the art form, and a friendly spirit of competition.
14 Poets will compete! 5 Judges will be chosen at random from the audience!
POETS MUST COMPLETE ONLINE SUBMISSION BY MARCH 10TH FOR THE CHANCE TO COMPETE!
- $15 submission fee includes admission + 2 chances to compete to win a cash prize, art prizes, & more
- 7 poets selected from submissions
- 7 poets chosen through live lottery @ 6:30pm on 3/24- You must submit to be included in the lottery!
- Submit 2 pieces (audio or video of performance, 3 mins max.)
- All ages and genres of poetry are welcome!
Your submission acts as a ticket as well as your opportunity to be chosen in the slam so if you want to compete you must submit! In addition to your ticket into the event on 3/24, all applicants will have the opportunity to be chosen by lottery for 7 wild card slots - a second opportunity to compete! Poets will compete for a cash prize, art prints and other goodies.
ON THE DAY OF THE SLAM-
Accepted poets and anyone hoping to be chosen in the lottery must:
- Come prepared with up to 6 pieces available to read
- Read from memory or from paper- No Phones
The Resident Artist Membership
An Opportunity for Artists at the Art League of Long Island
The Art League of Long Island is introducing a new opportunity for Long Island based visual and interdisciplinary artists to become a leader in the creative community through its Resident Artist Membership Program. Six artists will be selected to participate in the program by a panel of educators and art leaders.
The Resident Artist Membership is an opportunity for artists who are interested in finding mentorship, learning new mediums, and developing the skills and confidence to teach! Resident Artist Members will have access to the Art League’s state of the art studios and extensive offerings of classes to expand their skills, culminating in the opportunity to teach a One Day Workshop that is open to the general public.
The Resident Artist membership includes the following benefits:
- 50 free hours of instructed class time per semester- Participants will be able to attend up to 50 hours of instructed class time each semester for the duration of the Artist Resident Membership. Classes must reach minimum enrollment, and may not exceed maximum enrollment in order to be eligible for this offer. Resident Artist Members will be required to pay in full for additional instructed class time hours that exceed the 50 hours.
- Opportunity to teach a One-Day Workshop in the Summer of 2019- Use the education during your year of study at the Art League to design a one-day workshop that expresses your point of view and strengths as an artist through teachable skills
- Unlimited use of Open Studios during scheduled open studio time and additional hours in which studios are unused.
- Free admission to ticketed Art League events and lectures
- Access to the Lorraine Graves Grace Memorial Library of over 2,500 art books
- Promotion of you and your work on the Art League website and social media
The Resident Artist Membership is a one-year membership to the Art League of Long Island that lasts from June 1, 2018-June 1, 2019. The application period opens February 1, 2018 and ends March 30, 2018. There is a non-refundable application fee of $50. The Artist Residency Membership fee for selected artists is $200. Artists not selected to participate in the program will still benefit by receiving a free basic individual membership for one year.
The six artists selected for the Resident Artist Memberships will be expected to take on a leadership role in community building at the Art League and integrate with our student body. Resident Artist members will be required to:
- Volunteer at the Art League for a minimum of 6 hours per month- Monitor an open studio, assist with hanging a show, or help out in the office!
- Maintain a blog on the Art League website- Document your experiences as a Resident Artist Member at the Art League- in class and beyond- through monthly blog posts. Share about your work, your process, and what you’ve been learning!
- Work toward teaching a one-day workshop during the semester immediately following the completion of your membership (Summer 2019). This will include submitting a workshop proposal and drafting a syllabus.A
- Attend Resident Artist Membership meetings (Schedule TBD)
- Pay the Resident Artist Membership fee of $200
A Completed application will contain the following:
• Application fee of $50.00
• A PDF Document containing an Artist Resume or C.V. and the answers to the following questions in 250 words or less:
- Statement of Practice (A brief description of your work and process)
- Statement of Purpose (What do you hope to accomplish during your Artist Resident Membership?)
- Preliminary Proposal for Workshop (The Resident Artist Membership culminates in the opportunity to teach a One-Day Workshop at the Art League of Long Island. Do you have a potential workshop in mind? How would your voice as an artist translate into teachable content?)
• Work Samples/Documentation of up to 10 works Jpegs, png preferred for still shots. Video work(s) or video documentation of work, max. 10 minutes. (Vimeo or Youtube links are preferred).
The Art League of Long Island is a not-for-profit visual arts organization providing a full schedule of classes, workshops, exhibits, and events for Long Islanders since 1955. The Art League of Long Island is located at 107 East Deer Park Road in Dix Hills, just off exit 42N of the Northern State Parkway. For more information visit www.artleagueli.org or call (631) 462-5400
Wow us with your large works!
Two-dimensional work may not exceed 7’ in any direction. Works larger than 7’ wide, please call to discuss. Minimum size 36” in height and/or width.
Three-dimensional work may not exceed 7’ high. Three-dimensional work may not exceed 100 lbs.
Please call to discuss outside sizes and weights.